Album of the week – Matt McGinn “On The Road From Aldermaston” Complete Transatlantic Recordings (1966-1969)
Listen in from 2pm on Sunday 19th March, we celebrate Matt McGinn with a programme featuring exclusive interveiws and rare tracks.
“Although he died forty years ago, the reputation of Matt McGinn endures and even expands. Having left behind a dazzling legacy of more than five hundred songs, the life’s work of the man dubbed ‘Scotland’s Woody Guthrie by Tom Paxton’ was commemorated in 2004 with a concert that was staged in New York on Broadway, where Pete Seeger suggested that ‘…if there’s a human race here in hundreds of years, people alive then will still be singing his songs ‘. One of the key figures of the folk revival in Scotland, McGinn was a prodigiously talented singer/songwriter who moved effortlessly between ribald humour, topical novelties, good-natured parodies, children’s verse, tender love songs and heavily politicised protest material. This 2CD anthology represents his four-year spell in the late Sixties with leading folk label Transatlantic, for whom he recorded a quartet of albums that contain many of his best-loved and most enduring songs ‘ including ‘Coorie Doon’ and ‘Three Nights And A Sunday’, both of which would be included alongside the likes of Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly and Bob Dylan in the Smithsonian’s Top One Hundred Folk Songs of the 20th Century. This 2-CD, offers Matt McGinn’s entire output for the legendary Transatlantic Records for the first time. Taken from the original master tapes, many of the tracks have never been released on CD before”.
- THE RED YO YO 2. WILLIE MACNAMARA 3. OLD JOHNNY BULL 4. BIG SAMMY
- THE FOOTBA’ REFEREE 6. BAN THE BEATLES 7. THE HEILAN’ MAN 8. THE FIRST MAN ON THE MOON 9. MANURA MANYAR 10. THE GALLOWGATE CALYPSO 11. LOTS OF LITTLE SOLDIERS
- UNNER ALOW THE GROUND 13. ROB ROY MCGREGOR 14. MAMBO 15. THE ROLLING HILLS OF THE BORDER 16. MOANING 17. WE’LL ALL BE ANGELS 18. ON THE ROAD FROM ALDERMASTON 19. I.O.U. 20. THE BALLAD OF JOHN MCLEAN 21. THE KING AND THE KEY
- THREE NIGHTS AND A SUNDAY 23. ROSY ANNA 24. I’M LOOKING FOR A JOB 25. BIG WILLIE’S BLUES 26. THE BOYS FROM LISBON
- HONESTY IS OUT OF THE FASHION 2. THE PEKINESE DOG 3. THE SASH/KEVIN BARRY
- THE DUNDEE GHOST 5. THE BALLAD OF THE Q4 6. BIDDIE MCGRATH 7. THE LEAVING OF LIVERPOOL 8. ROSIN THE BOW 9. TWO FOOT TALL 10. THE SEQUEL TO THE DUNDEE WEAVER
- NO NAY NEVER 12. THE BIG ORANGE WHALE 13. THE PILL 14. COORIE DOON
- I HAVE SEEN THE HIGHLANDS 16. IâLL BE COMING HOME TO GLASGOW 17. THE CLEANSING MAN 18. THE WITCHES SONG 19. POLLY HAD A POODLE 20. LITTLE TICKS OF TIME
- SKINNY MA LINKY LONG LEGS 22. THE MAN IN THE MOON 23. BINGO BELLA 24. JOLLY RED NOSE 25. MORNIN’ ELEANORA 26. TRA LA LA TWEET TWEET 27. OOR WEE WEAN
- THE DUNDEE CAT 29. ETERNITY WILL SOON BE OVER 30. LOCH LOMOND
To buy from Amazon please click our Link to purchase- it costs you nothing extra but some revenue for the station – Many Thanks !